Pages

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Aunt Georgia's Baked on Icing Cake

Now my first memory of Aunt Georgia was when I was 14 years old at her farm in Claxton Georgia.  Actually that is the summer that me and my cousin nearly suffocated at the hands of my grandmother and grandfather.

Our entire family attended a Holland Family reunion and the 50th wedding anniversary of Aunt Georgia and Uncle Herbert.  Aunt Georgia was my grandfather's Aunt.  They were actually I think about ten to fifteen years apart in age.  It was your typical HOT Georgia summer.  Me and my cousin Destiny rode with them from Albany to Claxton.  This trip should take approximately about three hours to make, but add another hour to the trip because Mema would never get it over 55 mph because Papa was monitoring her like Miss Daisy did Hoke.  In addition to feeling like you were riding by mule train across Georgia, they did not think that you needed to run the A/C or let the windows down.  All I can say is the fact that at one time I look over at my cousin (who is fives younger than me) and I thought we are going to die in this car.  Needless to say we didn't and survived another family trip!

If you have never been to Claxton then you really are not missing that much.  The Holland family had a huge farm in Manassas, Georgia.  If you blink then you have passed it!  Aunt Georgia lived in the house that belonged to my Great-Great Grandfather.  She was your typical farm wife and it was your typical farm house.  Her kitchen was filled with items that they either grew or cooked.  On her table was a cake plate with a freshly baked chocolate cake.  Chocolate is a well loved Holland staple.

Anyway, that cake was so good and here is the recipe:

Baked on Icing Cake

1-1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 cup shortening
2 egg yolks
1/2 tsp vanilla
2-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinammon
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup milk

For Topping:

2 egg whites
3/4 cups sifted brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cups chopped nuts

Sift together flour, baking powder, spices and salt.  Cream shortening and sugar; beat in egg yolks.  Into dry ingredients stir alternating the milk and vanilla.  Spread batter in pan and top with icing.  Icing:  beat egg whites until stiff; beat in 1/2 of the brown sugar and fold in the balance with salt.

Now here lies the GREAT MYSTERY - this is all she wrote - What do you cook it at and how long?  Trying this several years ago cook it at 350 degrees for approx 35 to 40 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.

Enjoy this farmhouse Rolodex Recipe!

Uncle Herbert and Aunt Georgia in the middle
Papa (Ben Holland) on the left and Mema (Frances Holland)
on the right.


The infamous family reunion in Claxton.  This is a photo of my entire family when the attended the event.  I am in the middle behind my grandfather's brother Jack.  My cousin Destiny appears to be pouting to the left of Uncle Jack.

1 comment:

  1. I love the memories of going to Claxton in that hot LTD! I also love my Hawaiian shirt... I've got to talk to my mom about why I was allowed to wear that ;) Thanks again for the blog!

    ReplyDelete