Pages

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Aunt Edith's Dump Cake

My grandmother had many friends, but one friend that she had was a lifelong friend from childhood.  These two were just as bad as Lucy and Ethel.  In this case it was Edith and Frances.  Edith Weldon (better known in our family as Aunt Edith) was my grandmother's best friend.  The both grew up in Columbus, Georgia.

Both of these girls were independent souls, and nothing or no one was going to get in their way.  My Grandmother's parents owned a small grocery store adjacent to their home.  Aunt Edith was older than Mema, and my great-grandmother would give Aunt Edith a candy bar if she would walk my grandmother to and from school each day.  Aunt Edith agreed according to my Grandmother with such joy.  According to my Grandmother they would leave my great-grandparent's home holding hands smiling at each other, and acting like two loving school girls.  They would get just out of eyesight and earshot of my great-grandmother, and go their seperate ways because my grandmother thought that she did not need anybody to take her to school.  They would meet back each afternoon, and return back to the house like two good little girls, and Aunt Edith would get her candy.

As a child I can remember going to Aunt Edith and Uncle Tommy's house, and it was an experience.  It was the rare ocassion that I could see a different side of my Grandmother.  I saw a bond of friendship that would never be broken.  I think they traded and bought everything two women could buy without driving their husbands insane.  Actually I think Uncle Tommy and my Grandfather earned the status of sainthood when they entered heaven because if they only knew what these two characters did when they were not looking.
We would all be so lucky to have a friendship of this magnitude. 

So how could the rolodex be complete without a recipe from Aunt Edith


1 (21 oz) can of cherry pie filling
1 (15 oz) can of crushed pineapple
1 boxed yellow cake mix
8 oz chopped walnuts
1/2 cup butter

In a 9x13 pan mix cherries and pineapple.  Sprinkle dry cake mix over pineapple, and cherry mixture stir until just combined.  Then sprinkle walnuts over the top.  Drizzle top with melted butter.  Baked at 350 degrees or until golden brown.

Happy Cooking!


No comments:

Post a Comment