Pages

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Nellie's Corn Bread

Another great friend of my grandparents were the Marbury's.  Mr. J.G. and Miss Nellie were family friends from the time that my grandparents moved to Albany in the late 1940's.  Mr. Grandfather was business partners with Mr. Marbury, they attended church together at First Baptist Church Albany, and they shared many family moments with the Hollands.

My earliest memory of the Marbury was at church.  Mr. Marbury would always come up to me in the hallway, and offer me a peppermint Lifesaver.  To this day when I put a peppermint lifesaver in my mouth it takes me back to being seven years old, and remembering him offering me one.

Now Miss Nellie was a good cook, and the one thing that I remember that she made that I thought was fabulous was her cornbread.

Miss Nellie's Cornbread

2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 cup cream style corn
1/2 cup corn oil
1 cup meal (if self rising meal is used - omit baking powder and salt)
1-1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder

Mix all ingredients.  Cook in 8 inch Pyrex Dish.  Bake at 400 degrees until golden brown, about 30 minutes.  Cut into squares; serve hot.  May be frozen, and then warmed over.  For larger corn bread, double ingredients, cook in 13-1/2 x 8-3/4 x 1-3/4 inch Pyrex dish.

This stuff is addictive.  But enjoy anyway! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment