Pages

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Virginia's Never Fail Yeast Rolls

Okay this blog is dedicated to the collection of recipes from my grandmother Frances Holland.  However, my other grandmother Virginia Branch was also a wonderful cook.  Unfortunately, she and I did not get thirty three years together, and the ability to learn and collect recipes.  Virginia passed away when I was twelve from a hard fought battle with cancer.

However, my memories of this loving soul still are with me everyday of my life, and I can truly say that there is not a day that goes by that I do not think of her or I am reminded of her loving spirit.  My dad was an only child, so being the oldest and her first grandchild she and I had a special bond too.  I remember going to her house in Dawson, Georgia, and her cooking all types of good ole' southern food:  Fresh Fried Chicken, Creamed Corn, Butter Beans, and her yeast rolls.  I can remember her once explaining to me how to make these rolls, and I so wish I could make them like she did.

There are some things that you can make, but there is some magical twist of the lip or turning of the wrist that makes that item taste a certain way that you just cannot duplicate.  That is the case with these rolls.  Here is the recipe and I can say you can try it, but I have been hard pressed to get them to taste like Grandmama's

Never Fail Yeast Rolls

1 yeast cake
1 egg
1/2 cup hot water
4 cups of flour
1/2 cup luke warm water
1/2 cup shortening
1/4 cup sugar

Dissolve shortening in hot water.  Dissolve yeast cake in lukewarn water.  Add beaten egg to yesat mixture and then add this to rotary beater.  Now add sifted flour, beating as you add.  When dough is brely stiff enough to handle, put in refrigerator, cover and if possible let stand overnight.  It can be used after being refrigerated only for a few hours.  Roll out, cut into desired shape, brush with melted butter and put in warm place to rise.  It will take from two to four hours, depending on temperature of the room.  Bale in moderately hot oven for about 20 minutes (now WHAT IS MODERATELY HOT - I have no clue).  The secret, if there is one is to be careful with the measurements and temperature of water.  Four cups flour is an estimate.  Use enough to make a very soft dough.  Dough not used in first batch, may be returned to the refrigerator.

This is a tough nut to crack - but with enough practice you wil enjoy them.

My grandmother Virginia Branch hold me.  My Grandfather Russell Branch holding my brother Travis.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dave... As a bread baker, a moderately hot oven would be 350. As far as the liquid temperature for yeast bread, it should be warm to the touch, but not so hot as to burn your finger if it were left in for a minute or so. Cooler and the yeast doesn't activate and hotter kills the yeast. Does that make any sense? LOL

    ReplyDelete