Pages

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Now Who Took the Rolodex....

Now the Rolodex was originally in my possession after my Grandmother passed away.  Actually I had it for about a two years before her death.  My grandmother began a rapid decline with dementia about two years before she passed away.  I remember the Saturday that I got the rolodex, and I realized that times had changed.  Mema's kitchen was now "closed" for business.  My grandmother in all her wisdom I think realized that she could no longer cook like she had for so many years, and had my mother help her clean out the office, and all of her cookbooks.  My mother loaded the hundreds of cookbooks, the rolodex, and the typewriter that she had used for so many years into her car.  I was at my parents house picking up my daughter Emily when my mother pull up under her carport with these items.  I remember distinctly asking what was going on and she told me Mema wanted to clean out the office because she no longer needed any of the items.  Seeing the rolodex I took it from the pile of cookbooks, and took it home.

It stayed in my possession on my kitchen counter until the summer of 2005 when it disappeared.  I did not immediately know it was gone, but it was only until I went to make something for a party and could not find it.  I went into a panic because it not only represented a valuable source of information, but it was a sentimental item.

After tearing my kitchen apart and making a few phone calls it was discovered that the culprits were my sister-in-law and my mother.  The weeks prior I was passing four (4) kidney stones, and was in bed passed out from the narcotics needed to keep me from going insane when "sticky fingers Tabitha" grabbed hold of it an placed it in "Sweet Rachael's" car.  To this day they swear they did not conspire to take it from me, but to this day I have also not got it back.  Although beginning this blog my mother wanted a "pardon" by offering me the rolodex back.  I told her since I had a copy I would just continue to use it, and remain forever lost without it. Not really....

Seriously, my sister-in-law actually came to my house and took care of me and my two children (because I was single at the time).  She saw the rolodex, and knew my Mother had been looking for it because she wanted to get some recipes out of it.  My mother actually has the rolodex back and should be the rightful owner.  Tabby made me a copy of the rolodex cards and categorized them for me.   The copied pages look just like her cards, so I am fine with the reproduced copy (even it it took them three years to make me a copy).

Thanks for being a follower of Mema's Rolodex - She would have been honored by the people who have enjoyed the stories of the Holland family and her cooking.

Sticky Fingers Tabby on far left and Sweet Rachael (Mama) on the far right.

No comments:

Post a Comment